The Sherburne County Public Works Department is seeking 2 highly motivated and experienced candidates to join our Highway Maintenance team at our Becker facility location. Our Becker facility hosts 8 Highway Maintenance employees, 4 Mechanics, a Parks Natural Resource Technician, and the Sign Department. Our Zimmerman location hosts 7 Highway Maintenance employees. We pride ourselves on providing an excellent team environment that strives to be efficient and safe while serving our County.
We work a Monday – Thursday, 6:30am – 5:00pm schedule in the summer and Monday – Friday, 7:00am – 3:30pm schedule in the winter. Additional hours will be required during winter mainly for snow plowing. Other additional hours may be required for storm damage cleanup, high-priority sign repairs or other emergency situations throughout the year. When called in outside of normal work hours employees are eligible to receive compensation for their time or choose to add hours into a comp bank, which may be used for time off. We strive to be flexible with schedules, especially in the summer with the understanding that snow and ice control in the winter is a top priority.
Sherburne County is one of the fastest growing counties in Minnesota, where you can find a nice blend of suburban and rural life. Our Public Works Department is responsible for 402 miles of road within the County and there is always something that needs attention somewhere.
This position is responsible for highway maintenance tasks in order to provide a safe and adequate County Highway system for the safety of the public traveling within Sherburne County. Includes aspects of maintenance, heavy equipment operation, construction, and sign/traffic control creation and installation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
These examples of typical duties do not include all possible tasks for this classification and do not limit the assignment of related tasks. Regular attendance according to the department's approved work schedule is required for all Sherburne County positions.
- Plows and wings snow and applies ice control materials.
- Heavy equipment operation including single axle and tandem trucks, pavers, motor graders, shouldering machine, front-end loaders, skidsteers, water truck, loader, vacuum truck.
- Dead animal removal and ditch cleaning.
- Patching and crack filling of bituminous roadways.
- Hauling of material including fill, gravel and bituminous mix.
- Brush and tree cutting in County Road right of way.
- Conduct miscellaneous roadwork as necessary (e.g., culvert repair/ replacement, bridge repair, roadway sweeping, fence removal, etc.).
- Miscellaneous shop work and equipment repair (e.g., installation, removal, or painting of plow equipment, welding, minor repairs, etc.).
- Assemble, install and maintain county traffic control devices. Conduct flagging operations as needed. Install detours for emergency and county road projects.
- Must be available for call outs for seasonal and emergency operations.
- High School Diploma or equivalent; and
- Minimum of two years' paid experience in the operation of highway construction and/or maintenance equipment.
- Experience with snow removal and ice control operations in a road system environment is preferred.
- Valid Class B Minnesota Driver's License with requirement to obtain Class A Minnesota Driver's License within 1 year from date of hire.
Tanker Endorsement and Chemical Application Certification required for some equipment and may be obtained after hire. Must be able to engage in strenuous physical activities and work in temperature extremes. Appointment is contingent upon ability to pass a physical examination, a drug test, and Bureau of Criminal Apprehension criminal history check.
The hiring range for this position is $22.79 - $24.09 per hour, depends on applicable experience.
Interviews are tentatively scheduled for Monday, August 15. Candidates will be contacted via email if you're invited for an interview.