Friends of Sherburne NWR Nature Store Goes Online
While the Friends of Sherburne Eagle’s Nest Nature Store remains closed for in-person shopping, we’re pleased to announce that we now offer online shopping at SherburneEaglesNestStore.com! Let your “fingers do the walking” from the warmth of home and browse the selection of Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge knit caps and fleece headbands. Or how about some hand-made “upcycled” wool mittens with fleece lining? If books are your thing, review the selection of field guides and other books geared to naturalists of all ages. We also have a large selection of nature-themed apparel, puzzles, books, and stuffed animals to engage the kids when they aren’t outside exploring nature.
Refuge Trails Are Open!
Blue Hill, Mahnomen and the Oak Savanna Learning Center trails, and their respective restroom facilities, are open from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset and will be packed following significant snowfalls for better hiking conditions. If a parking lot is full when you visit, please continue on to another trail. Cross-country skiers will want to know that classic tracks have been set on the Mahnomen Trail. There is no fee for cross-country skiing and the refuge does not have equipment to check out. Reference the home page of the refuge website for trail updates: fws.gov/refuge/sherburne.
Want to go snowshoeing? You can snowshoe on service roads and venture off-trail through February 28. Hot Tip: Try snowshoeing the Prairie's Edge Wildlife Drive--but please don't block the entrance gate when you park. The refuge is offering free snowshoe checkout, based on availability. There are additional requirements this year and they include:
• Sending request by Thursday at 8 am to email@example.com (for large groups, it's to your advantage to request earlier and include approximate numbers/sizes needed).
• Scheduling and attending a ten-minute video chat to go over the snowshoes and bindings.
• Providing requested sizes and numbers of snowshoes at least one day prior to pick up.
• Scheduling a pickup time on Friday between 12 pm - 4 pm. Pickup is at the Oak Savanna Learning Center at 16797 289th Ave NW near Zimmerman.
• Arriving at your scheduled pickup time and loading snowshoes into your vehicle.
• Returning snowshoes in good condition to the Oak Savanna Learning Center at your scheduled time the following Friday.
Friends of Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that nurtures an appreciation for and the conservation of Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge through education, volunteerism and philanthropy.